Sunday, January 21, 2007

vcards rock

The transition from Macintosh to Compaq hasn't been effortless, but at least vcards work. The Mac address book exports a vcard file with DOS line endings, and the Outlook Express address book reads it just fine. By comparison, I had to import Safari bookmarks into Camino, export that from Camino to TextWrangler to DOS-ify the line ends, then sneakernet it to the Presario — where IE 7 does not read it, but at least I've got an html file with all the old links intact.

Also, I've learned that 3.5" floppy drives are obsolete, as well as archaic. If you're moving data by sneakernet, the vector of choice is a 1 gig thumb drive, $39.99 at Target.

That said, I have to say I'm bemused by this Presario V6101US notebook, and Windows XP. Just about every objection I had to Windows '95 has been answered. I'm even using a wireless optical USB 2.0 Microsoft mouse.

I'm going to put Ubuntu on the Mac, instead of OS X 10.4, and see what that's like before the hinge cable breaks.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home