- シークヮーサ (shikwasa, Citrus depressa) is a native Okinawan fruit sometimes called the "flat lemon" in English. Too sour to eat like a tangerine, it's the main ingredient in popular Okinawan bottled drinks.
- Everybody loves Lilo and Stitch.
- The only manga on the shelves in all of Akihabara is One Piece.
- The 新茶 ("new tea") is kind of interesting in a "new mown hay" sort of way, but I'm not fond of it. (^^;)
- 五円玉, or more exactly, three 5-yen pieces. The lore is, put one of these in a new wallet before any other money goes in. The swirling plant is rice. The typical sheathed grass stems and panicles make it obvious. The obverse has unidentified "tree sprouts." Not pine, it's a dicot — at a guess, Daruma's eyelids, Camellia sinensis.
- Actually, I sent a 16-year-old to Japan and got back an ambassador. I'm happy.
Labels: WHS Japan School Trip