Monday, November 24, 2008

Augments

#! /usr/bin/perl -w

exec "sqlite3 /home/dave/db/dave.db \"insert into notebook VALUES(datetime('now','localtime'),'journal','...')\"";


This little script sits in my menubar (with a mushroom icon for some reason), then when I fire up FireFox, I've got a new entry in my notebook waiting for edits courtesy of SQLite Manager. I have a regular copy of SQLite 3 sitting around somewhere, too, obviously. The three fields are date, keywords and memo.

Saves wear and tear on my few remaining gray cells, having an offline memory. That may be the difference between geeks and authors. Real writers (i.e., those who use feral languages like English, Latin American Spanish or Japanese, instead of toy, robot languages like C++, Pascal and Perl) have been keeping notes to remind themselves of stuff since ancient Egypt. Apparently, the shock of old age, with its diminishing powers, brings out the resourcefulness of graybeards like Chaucer and Lao Tsu.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home