Saturday, August 01, 2009

Nice board!

This backgammon board is called "Irish Gold" and it comes standard in GNU Backgammon 0.9.0. I designed it. I don't know how it happens that GNU Backgammon got hold of it, but they're more than welcome! I based the color scheme on my personal backgammon set that I bought in Washington, D.C. at a shop on K Avenue back in 1976. I was especially proud of the brown tones in the cork, and worked on that for hours. And of course my game case was populated with green and white checkers. Later on, I bought a big red doubling cube from a game shop in Georgetown, but never incorporated that into the design; there's no way, SFAIK.

Over the years, I've had to switch computers several times, from PC to Mac to Linux, and I lost the specs for that board and could never get it right again. So when I opened GNU Backgammon 0.9.0 the other day, for the first time in years, and saw my own board, the hair stood up on my neck. Yow! Thank you, GNU Backgammon!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home