Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Finders Keepers

Waking up... The paint on the inside of my skull is old, damp and peeling. Aside from that... How's your day?

On the bright side, my replacement copy of John F. Adams' Beekeeping: The Gentle Craft (Doubleday, 1972) arrived this afternoon. Good. I don't understand how I ever let this one get out of my hands, but it surprises me not in the least.

I'm an idiot about books. For example, I wrote a fan letter to J. R. R. Tolkien ages and ages ago, just as he was getting famous, and he wrote back! I had a handwritten letter from J. R. R. Tolkien, an autograph, signed by him, plus the hand-addressed envelope it came in, and I put that letter in my boxed set of paperbacks (the Ballantine "courtesy to living authors" edition), blithely sold it several months later to the Little Read Book Shop in Ames, Iowa and did not realize what I had done for years. Someone has a nice gift, with my name on it ;-)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home