Monday, June 18, 2007

El Pato

I'd like to make some snide remark about the gods of golf favoring inconvenient heroes, but then I'd have to look up facts. A legion of English-speaking sports editors decided last night that Alejandro Cabrera is an "angel," for example, but to Latin Americans he's The Duck, the man who won the 2007 U.S.G.A. Open Championship. And Michelle Wie, finishing dead last with two bum wrists at the McDonald's last week, took home three grand more from her weekend than Phil Mickelson, who missed his cut entirely. Let them play their games — I know who I like.

What a coincidence that Simon Schama was on PBS tonight with a special about Guernica. How prescient of me :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, nice blog. I'm Argentinian, like Cabrera, and his name is not Alejandro but Angel, thus we call him Angel "El Pato" Cabrera.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Grikdog said...

Gracias! Por supuesto, soy un (como se dice en Argentina?) blockhead.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home